WARM UP QUESTIONS:
- Have you ever met someone who is utterly and desperately in love with God and Jesus? How can you tell they’re so in love? What are they like?
SCRIPTURE STUDY: Deuteronomy 6:4-9
- Have you ever had to submit your will to someone else’s will? What was that like? How do you respond when your will is not God’s will?
- When Bruce talks about bringing every aspect of our lives under the one God, how do you respond to those words? Can you relate? Do you walk with God, intimately and regularly? Or are your experiences with God usually mediated by something or someone (books, sermons, pastor’s voice, fellowship, etc.)?
- Would you say that Jesus is truly exercising lordship over your life, or is “Lord” still just a title you use when talking about him? What implications does Jesus’ lordship have for the various aspects of your life—for your decision making, your finances, your relationships and so on?
- What areas of your life have you been unwilling to allow Jesus to be Lord over, and why? Think of something in your life right now that you feel you have all figured out. How might your understanding of that situation change if you invited Jesus into it as Lord?
- Do you have beliefs, thought patterns, or practices that you know are not in agreement with God’s Word? Have you surrendered to the Lordship of Jesus Christ? Which areas of your life do you still need to submit to Christ’s Lordship? What can you do this week so that Jesus’ Lordship over your life is better reflected in your thoughts, words, and/or actions?
- Looking back at your notes from this week’s Message, was there anything that particularly caught your attention, challenged or confused you?